Tuesday, February 20, 2024

My Film Opening Approach

It's time to start developing my film opening. Now I want to start my opening scene with a tracking shot of my main character running. I want this scene to take place in the late afternoon around the time it's getting dark and I want the background to include traffic. I'm going to include loud traffic sounds because I want a contrast between those sounds and a noise cancelation of the character's headphones while he's running so the audience can get the sensation that he's locked in. What the viewers will hear after is an alarm noise indicating his run is over and it will cut to him lying on the ground in exhaustion.


Here's a running scene from the first Creed movie. If you guys would like to watch the whole clip here's the link!

So the idea is that I want the first shot to be a slow-motion hand-held tracking shot facing my character back while he's running and a cut to the same thing but instead facing the front of my character and at normal speed. Then it will cut to a close-up of the watch indicating his running session is done. After there will be a long shot of him lying on the ground exhausted. And that ladies and gentlemen, will be the first scene.

The idea is that I want the audience to understand in the first couple seconds of the film that this character is no joke. They won't understand what he's training for until after but I want them to know that whatever it is, he's very serious about it.

In the next scene, I was thinking of doing an establishing shot of the character's house. Nothing crazy just a basic nighttime establishing shot. Maybe something like this:


Coupled with this shot I want to add sounds of nature like cricket noises and owl sounds. Then a cut to the character showering(foggy glass and shower sounds) and then another cut to the character eating dinner with his family. I want the audience to get the sensation that this is sort of like the character's routine.

Now the dinner scene is going to be the most important in the whole film opening. And that is because it is going to be the longest and it is where the background and information about the character will be established through dialogue. Now I just watched a video on YouTube on how to film dinner scenes and what certain decisions mean. If you want to watch the whole video click the link

Now I don't really know what decisions I'm going to make in filming the dinner scene all I know is what information I want to mention in the dialogue in the scripts. And I also want something really interesting to happen towards the end of the opening so that the audience gets hooked. I was thinking maybe the character gets an offer to try out at a professional club. After this, I want to introduce the title of the movie. I want the movie to be called Gol which is goal in Spanish, I think this matches the story quite nicely. I'll probably add a net and crowd-cheering "goal" sound effects with the title. I know I'm not going to place the title at the very end since that will indicate closure but I don't know yet what I'm going to add after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR 1 AND 2 POST

  CCR 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlzhBwYmGSg CCR 2:                                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaW...